Safe schools are fundamental to students' school successes and achievements. Consequently, providing a safe and orderly school environment remains an ever-present priority of the Mississippi Department of Education. School safety should be addressed through a comprehensive approach that focuses on prevention, intervention and response planning. Systems and programs should be in place that create caring school communities where all students and staff feel safe and supported. Key to the process of building and maintaining safe schools is the development of active partnerships between schools and communities.
The Division of School Safety
provides support to schools in the areas of physical security, emergency operations and school discipline. Training and technical assistance may be requested to provide guidance in the development of a safe and secure school environment for students, faculty and administrators. Resources and areas of technical assistance include:
- Mississippi Community Oriented Policing Services in Schools (MCOPS) Grant
- Safety online resources are now available to help incorporate health education in the classroom.
- Critical Incident Resource Training Video - Contact the Division of Safe Schools at 601 359 1028
- Bomb Threat Guidance Brochure
- The next School Resource Officer (SRO) Basic Course is scheduled for April 12-18 2014, at the Regional Counter Drug Training Academy at Meridian Naval Air Station, Meridian, MS. This training is mandatory in accordance with the provisions of Section 37-7-321, Mississippi Code of 1972, Annotated and Accreditation Standard 37, for those law enforcement personnel assigned to work at a K-12 facility in the state as a School Resource Officer who have not been previously certified by MDE. The registration form is located at http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/safe-and-orderly-schools/school-safety and registration must be received no later than April 1, 2014, in order for officers to undergo a federal background investigation prior to attendance. This training is mandatory for all MCOPS grantee officers. All registration forms should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 601-359-3184. If you have any questions, please contact Director of School Safety Robert Laird at 601-359-1028. Information Sheet and Registration Forms