State Board Policy
DESCRIPTOR TERM: Medicaid Placements
ADOPTION DATE: January 15, 1993
Procedures for Financial Assistance When a Child With a Disability is Certified By Designated State Authority (Department of Health and Division of Medicaid) As Requiring Inpatient Care In An Intermediate Care Facility for the Mentally Retarded (ICF-MR) or in a Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility with Medicaid Reimbursement:
1. A private facility must gain approval by the State Department of Education, Bureau of Special Services, to provide appropriate special education and related services under the Educable Child Program. The school within the private facility must obtain an approval status from the SDE, Bureau of Special Services, and be operated as an integral part of the facility which provides twenty-four (24) hours a day monitoring, treatment, and education. The private facility must also hold a current license from the department of health designating approval as an ICF-MR facility or psychiatric residential treatment facility.
2. The Division of Medicaid must certify a child with a disability as requiring inpatient care in an ICF-MR facility with Medicaid reimbursement or in a psychiatric residential treatment facility with Medicaid reimbursement.
3. An appropriate Individualized Educational Program (IEP) must be developed in accordance with regulations and must specify the name of the approved private facility in which the child is placed for services. No financial assistance will be provided until the child has a current eligibility ruling by an approved Mississippi Screening Team, a current IEP developed according to regulations, and is receiving the services outlined on the IEP by appropriately certified personnel as defined in regulations. Also, prior to financial assistance being provided, the approved private facility must hold a (Department of Health) current license by the designated state authority (Department of Health) as an ICF-MR facility or as a Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility. Also, each child participating in this program must have a current determination by the designated state authority (Division of Medicaid) as requiring inpatient care in an ICF-MR facility with Medicaid reimbursement or Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility with Medicaid reimbursement. A current copy of all items listed above must be on file in the office of the consultant for the Educable Child Program at all times for each child per school year for financial assistance to be received.
4. The private facility official or duly authorized designee will complete/obtain and submit the following:
(a) The School Approval Application Packet,
(b) A copy of the child's current certification by Division of Medicaid which specifies the requirement of inpatient care in an ICF-MR facility or Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility,
(c) A current Mississippi eligibility ruling for a disability by a Screening Team and a current IEP developed in accordance with regulations,
(d) The Application Form for Financial Assistance, SDE-BSS-F11, and,
(e) A copy of the child's current Pupil Personal Data Form, and a copy of the current Assessment Team Report.
5. Following a full review of the date listed in number 4 above, the facility official will be notified in writing by the Mississippi State Department of Education as to the approval/disapproval of the child for tuition and fees reimbursement in a accordance with statutes and regulations.
6. Deadline dates for applying for financial assistance are as follows:
(a) FIRST QUARTER (Beginning of School through November): Due the first working day in November; This deadline will be extended to January 30, 1993, for the 1992-93 school year only due to development of regulations.
(b) SECOND QUARTER (December through February): Due the first working day in February
(c) THIRD QUARTER (March through the remainder of the School Year): Due the first working day in May
If required data is not received by the Mississippi State Department of Education by these due dates, funding will not be approved for that quarter.
7. If a child approved for financial assistance is removed from the facility, no longer determined certified as requiring inpatient care in an ICF-MR facility or psychiatric residential treatment facility with Medicaid reimbursement, no longer eligible as having a disability, no longer receiving special education or related services in accordance with a current IEP, OR the private facility is no longer licensed as an ICF-MR facility or psychiatric residential treatment facility with Medicaid reimbursement, the private facility director must notify the Mississippi State Department of Education, Bureau of Special Services in writing of these changes immediately.
8. Educable Child funds are appropriated and are to be utilized for tuition and fees necessary to provide special education and related services by appropriately certified personnel during the school year in accordance with regulations.
The school year is defined according to the calendar dates indicated by the facility director for the regular school session in the School Approval Application. No financial assistance shall exceed the obligation actually incurred by the applicant for tuition and fees. No duplication of requests for financial assistance or payments regarding tuition and fees shall be made by the facility.
9. State funds will be used to pay up to $3,000 of the total cost of the required placement per child per school year if an approved private school operates as an integral part of the facility which provides twenty-four (24) hours a day monitoring, treatment, and education. If state moneys are not sufficient to fund all applicants, there will be ratable reduction for all recipients receiving state funds under the Educable Child Program.