Mississippi Board of Education
January 20, 2005
4th Floor Boardroom
Central High School Building
359 North West Street
01. Report of State Superintendent of Education
02. Legislative Update (Steve Williams) Back-up material
03. Discussion of modification of grant with Vision Research Corporation (Steve Williams) Back-up material
04. Discussion of revision of School Level Accountability Model (Steve Williams) Back-up material
05. Discussion of FY 2006 Mississippi Adequate Education Program Base Student Cost (John Jordan/Steve Williams) Back-up material
06. Discussion of Financial Advisor for the Amory School District (John Jordan) Back-up material
07. Report on the methodology for using current year Average Daily Attendance in determining allocation for Mississippi Adequate Education Program funds (John Jordan/Steve Williams) Back-up material
08. Report on School Improvement (Susan Rucker) Back-up material
09. Discussion of awarding subgrant dollars in support of local school district improvement efforts for Title I of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (Susan Rucker) Back-up material
10. Discussion of Biology I and U.S. History Student Proficiency Level (Cut) Scores (Susan Rucker) Back-up material
11. Discussion of adopting the methodology to award community service grants to local school districts (Bonita Potter) Back-up material
12. Discussion of modifying the 2003-2004 Mathematics and Science Partnerships Program Grants for Specified Services (Bonita Potter) Back-up material
13. Discussion of revision of State Board Policy IL-2 (Vocational Achievement/Vocational and Technical Ongoing Program Parameters) (James Sardin) Back-up material
14. Discussion of revision of The Mississippi Secondary and Postsecondary Vocational Curriculum Frameworks (James Sardin) Back-up material
15. Discussion of contract with the Community College Foundation to deliver Alternate Route Teacher Certification Training (Daphne Buckley) Back-up materia
16. Discussion of methodology to grant discretionary funds to develop and deliver an Alternate Route Program for Administrators (Daphne Buckley) Back-up material
17. Discussion of methodology for awarding federal and state funds to local school districts to provide substitute teacher pay for teachers participating in professional development and training (Daphne Buckley) Back-up material
18. Discussion of methodology for awarding federal funds to the Institution of Higher Learning to begin an intensive research-based process to redesign teacher preparation programs at participating universities (Daphne Buckley) Back-up material
19. Discussion of grant renewal to Institutions of Higher Learning (Daphne Buckley) Back-up material
20. Discussion of revision of Guidelines for Mississippi Educator Licensure K-12 – Expansion of the Teach Mississippi Institute (Daphne Buckley) Back-up material
21. Discussion of revision of Guidelines for Mississippi Educator Licensure K-12 – Administrator Alternate Route Program (Daphne Buckley) Back-up material
22. Discussion of Consolidated Application for FY 2005 State and ESEA Federal Grant Funds for the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science (Ron Love) Back-up material
23. Discussion of contract with CCH Consulting (Regina Ginn) Back-up material
24. Report of personnel actions (Ethel Carson) Back-up material
25. Discussion of items which have cleared the Administrative Procedures Act process:
-Articulation agreement between the Mississippi Board of Education, the Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning, and the State Board for Community and Junior Colleges relating to dual academic and vocational credit for dually enrolled secondary academic and vocational-technical education students
(John Jordan) (Tab 25–A) Back-up material
-Establish the definition and components of a behavior modification program consistent with Section 37-13-92, Mississippi Code of 1972, Annotated, as amended by House Bill 657
(Office of Deputy State Superintendent – Regina Ginn) (Tab 25–B) Back-up material
26. Discussion of consent agenda items
01. Full-Line Food Distributor. 01/01/05 – 06/30/05. Competitive Bid Process. No MDE funds involved
The Office of Child Nutrition has a contract with The Merchants Company for warehousing and distribution of chilled and frozen products to school districts under the State Purchasing Program. The current contract dates are July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2005, with an option to renew for three additional years. We are asking to modify this contract to include the warehousing and delivery of fresh and dried fruits and vegetables purchased from the Department of Defense (DOD) for our schools participating on the Fruit and Vegetable Programs. This modification would commence January 1, 2005 and coincide with the original contract dates (with accompanying option to renew).
The Merchants Company has agreed to provide this service at the same rat they currently deliver USDA products for the respective regions. It is the responsibility of the contractor to warehouse and deliver these products to local organizations that are participating in the Fruit and Vegetable Program. The Office of Child Nutrition administers the contract. Payment is made directly to the contractor by the local organizations. No MDE funds will be expended for these services. The owner and/or personnel who will be working under this contract are not former Department employees or related to any Department employees.
(Regina Ginn) (Tab 26) Back-up material
02. IHL. $44,649 (subject to availability of funds). 01/21/05 – 06/30/05.
State funds. Appropriated by the Mississippi Legislature, House Bill 1696
(Office of Educational Accountability – Steve Williams) (Tab 26a) Backup material
The grantee will implement the Teach Mississippi Institute. The Institute is an intensive eight-week, nine-semester hour summer institute which includes instruction in education, effective teaching strategies, classroom management, state curriculum requirements, planning and instruction, instructional methods and pedagogy and use of test results to improve instruction. Division of School Building (Office of Healthy Schools – Regina Ginn) (Tab 26b) Back-up material
03. Approval of change orders for State Public School Building Fund
The Office of Safe and Orderly Schools requests approval of change orders for construction projects. School districts are requested to submit any modifications to an approved contract.
04. Approval of final projects for State Public School Building Fund
The Office of Safe and Orderly Schools requests approval of final projects for state public school building funds. School districts are requested to submit closing documents upon completion of construction projects.
05. Approval of school district facility site(s) for the location of the construction of capital improvements
DeSoto County School District requests approval of a site for the construction of a new elementary school (grades K through 5 with an enrollment of approximately 600 students) and a new middle school (grades 6 through 8 with an enrollment of approximately 1,200 students) located on approximately 28 acres on Star Landing Road at Highway 61 in Walls, Mississippi.
06. Approval of school district facility site(s) for the location of the construction of capital improvements
DeSoto County School District requests approval of a site for the construction of a new middle school (grades 6 through 8 with an enrollment of approximately 700 students) and a new high school (grades 9 through 12 with an enrollment of approximately 700 students) located on approximately 35 acres on Kirk Road in Olive Branch, Mississippi.
If you need accommodations due to a disability, contact our office at 601-359-1750.
NOTE: Cellular telephones and pagers that give an audible signal are not permitted during Board meeting.