Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)
Section 104(a) of the Healthy, Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010 (HHFKA) amended section 11(a)(1) of the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act (NSLA) (42 U.S.C. 1759a(a)(1)) to provide an alternative to household applications for free and reduced price meals in local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools in high poverty areas. This alternative is referred to as the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP).
Required Reporting for ALL SFAs (except RCCIs), due no later than April 15, 2014
School Food Authorities (SFAs) interested in participating in the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) for one or more schools must submit the following two (2) documents to the Office of Child Nutrition via fax at 601-354-7595 or email (preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than June 30, 2014. Contact the School Support Help Desk (at 601-576-4955) for questions concerning this provision or the required documentation.
NOTE: CEP applicants will receive notification of approval/denial from MDE-OCN via email within 30 days of receipt of your CEP worksheet and form. If documentation is received prior to the June 30th deadline, we will provide notification within 30 days of the due date. Incomplete documentation will delay the processing of your application.
CEP information for interested School Food Authorities (SFAs):
- CEP PowerPoint, slides and talking point from the March 19, 2014 webinar
- CEP Fact Sheet
- CEP Ocean Instructions (Currently unavailable)
- Supporting and Promoting the Community Eligibility Provision, USDA CEP Brochure (December 11, 2013)
- Community Eligibility Provision: Guidance and Q&As, SP 21-2014
- USDA and USDOE Community Eligibility Provision Letter (February 25, 2014)
- Community Eligibility: Making High Poverty School Hunger Free, FRAC, October 1, 2013
- Title I Letter, guidance to assist in identifying economically disadvantaged students in CEP schools in order to implement Title I requirements
- Community Eligibility Provision: Department of Education Title I Guidance, SP 19-2014 (January 31, 2014)
- E-Rate Letter, letter providing the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) with guidance on the impact of the USDA’s CEP, on the universal service E-rate program (July 31, 2012)
LEAs that have elected to participate in CEP for at least one site must notify households of children attending the CEP school(s) of CEP participation in the 2014-2015 School Year. LEAs may use this sample household letter to serve as the required notification.
The CEP Reimbursement Estimator allows SFAs/schools that are considering the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) to calculate the estimated federal reimbursement they will receive as to assess the financial viability of their school meal program under CEP.
For CEP questions concerning:
- Child Nutrition Program, contact the MDE-OCN Help Desk at 601-576-4955
- Title I, contact the MDE Office of Federal Programs at 601-359-3499.
- E-Rate, contact the MDE Office of Information Systems at 601-359-2837.