Career and Technical Education
Career and College Readiness
Tech Prep in Mississippi prepares students for their future careers. This important school-to-careers transition program helps young people make the connection between school and lifelong learning. It combines rigorous academic courses with high-level technical training leading to a certificate, associate or baccalaureate degree.
Tech Prep is a collective effort across disciplines and institutions to provide career education and planning for all students. It provides for enhanced curriculum through teacher training that emphasizes rigor and relevance, applied methodologies, contextual teaching, and integration between academic and vocational studies.
Based on the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006, the components of Tech Prep are:
- Program of Study
- Development of Tech Prep programs for secondary and post-secondary
- In-service professional development for teachers, faculty and administrators
- Professional Development Programs for counselors
- Equal access to technical preparation programs to members of special populations
- Preparatory Services
- Coordinate with activities conducted under Title I