Purpose of Homeless Grants to LEA's
To provide activities for, and services to, homeless children and youth including preschool-age children that enable these children and youth to enroll, attend, and succeed in school. These services provide before or after school tutoring, supplemental instruction and enriched educational activities. All activities may be provided on school grounds or at other facilities including sectarian property.
Grants for the Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program are awarded to local educational agencies on a competitive and yearly basis. The funding source of these awards is Title X, of the Elementary and Secondary Education act, as amended by the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001.
The McKinney-Vento Act provides certain rights for homeless students. They include waiving certain requirements such as proof of residency when students are enrolling and allowing categorical eligibility for certain services, such as free textbooks. The Act also states:
- Homeless students may attend their school of origin or the school where they are temporarily residing.
- Homeless students must be provided a written statement of their rights when they enroll and at least two times per year.
- Homeless students may enroll without school, medical, or similar records.
- Homeless students have a right to transportation to school.
- Students must be provided a statement explaining why they are denied any service or enrollment.
- Students must receive services, such as transportation, while disputes are being settled.
- Students are automatically eligible for Title I services.
- School districts must reserve a portion of Title IA funds to serve homeless students.
- School districts must review and revise policies that provide barriers to homeless students.
- Schools must post information in the community regarding the rights of homeless students, in schools and other places that homeless families may frequent.
- School districts must identify a McKinney-Vento Liaison to assist students.
2015-2016 McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Grantees
2014-2015 McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Grantees
2013-2014 McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Grantees
2012-2013 McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Grantees
2011-2012 McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Grantees
Resources National Center for Homeless Education National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth National Coalition for the Homeless National Network for Youth Horizons for Homeless Children National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty (NLCHP)