State Board Policy
DESCRIPTOR TERM: Local Career Counselor
ADOPTION DATE: November 15, 1996
REVISION: November 18, 2011
The local vocational counselor shall be utilized for specific guidance purposes.
A. This position shall be referred to as career counselor.
B. This position shall be concerned with helping students make the occupational choices, educational choices, and career evaluations that will lead them to meaningful, successful, and rewarding work.
C. Career counselors shall be housed and function within the organizational structure of the Career and Technical Education CTE Center, with the advice and counsel of the Career Dean/Director. In the absence of a CTE Center, the counselor shall function within the appropriate organizational structure of the local educational agency while providing career counseling.
D. Primary responsibilities of this position will be identified by the local educational agency to support career programs and generally include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide individual and group vocational CTE of students.
- Disseminate information regarding CTE opportunities.
- Remain up-to-date on changing job-entry skill requirements and changing technologies in business and industry.
- Inform local business and industry of vocational education programs in the schools, and seek information regarding their job requirements.
- Arrange for business and industrial representatives to interview graduates/completers as prospective employees.
- Select, administer, and interpret aptitude tests to assist students in making appropriate career choices.
- Provide a placement program for students completing career and technical programs.
- Gather and publicize information from the community regarding jobs available to all students.
- Prepare follow-up studies of students completing CTE programs for the purpose of improving services and evaluating the effectiveness of career education.
E. Employment: This position shall be approved for one hundred percent (100%) employment for the above stated responsibilities.
F. Reimbursement: This position shall be considered as a career counselor position and shall be reimbursed from CTE funds according to State Board of Education Policy 9205.
G. Approval: The approval of funding for this position shall be made jointly by the Bureau of Instructional Development, the Vocational Administrative Team, and the Associate State Superintendent for Career and Technical Education. H. Qualifications: The recruitment and selection of career counselors shall be the responsibility of the local educational agency and shall conform with licensure requirements.