State Board Policy
DESCRIPTOR TERM: Parent Awards
MEMO TO: Superintendents
FROM: Public Relations Director
RE: Parent of the Year Program
The State Board of Education, mandated by Senate Bill 3120, has established an awards program to reward parents for becoming involved in school improvement efforts. A process which will designate a Parent of the Year in each school district in the state and the designation and the designation of one Parent of the Year statewide has been established. Please use this application form to nominate an outstanding parent who has made a significant impact on the school improvement efforts in your school district.
A selection committee composed of PTA representatives, Parents for Public Schools representatives, teachers, administrators and parents will evaluate the applications and make the final selection.
It is imperative that parents be involved in our districts' goals for education reform. Let them know how much we appreciate their efforts by nominating a Parent of the Year in your school district.
If you have questions or concerns, please call my office at (601) 359-3519.
PARENT OF THE YEAR NOMINATION FORM
RETURN TO: Parent of the Year Program
State Department of Education
P. O. Box 771
Jackson, MS 39205
Nominee Name ________________________________________________________________
School District _______________________________________________________________
Congressional District __________________________________________________________
Home Address ________________________________________________________________
Social Security Number _____________________________________
Age _____________ Marital status________________ Number of children _______________
Children's names, ages, occupations (if students, list name of school and grade level)
If married, spouse's name and occupation _____________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________
Superintendent's signature _______________________________________________________
Nominee's School Improvement Efforts
Describe the school improvement efforts of the Parent of the Year nominee in his/her school district. Include awards and other special recognitions received. Describe involvement in service-oriented activities, such as volunteer work, etc. Be specific describing projects. (Maximum length: two double spaced pages)
Letters of Support – (limit of three letters) Please attach to application. Include three letters of support from among the following: superintendent, principal, colleague, PTA president, or civic leader.
- Please submit original and four copies.
- Please provide all information requested in the application form. Do not change or add to the application in any way.
- Limit your answers to the number of pages requested. In order to provide all applicants with an equal opportunity, only the number of pages requested will be accepted. Any additional pages and/or materials can not be presented to the Selection Committee.
- Each application must include one photograph. It is not necessary, however, to submit five original pictures. Simply attach one picture to the original application and photocopy the other four. However, if selected Parent of the Year, additional pictures may be requested for publicity purposes.
- The application package must be submitted by the close of business on ______________.