Mississippi Board of Education
January 21, 2005
4th Floor Boardroom
Central High School Building
359 North West Street
I. Call to order
II Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag and Invocation
III. Approval of Minutes of Meeting of December 16-17, 2004
IV. Additions or deletions – Approval of agenda
V. Report of the Chair
VI. Approval of Action Items
(Items below are numbered to correspond to the items as discussed on Thursday, January 20, 2005.)
01. Full-Line Food Distributor. 01/01/05 – 06/30/05. Competitive Bid Process. No MDE funds involved (Office of Healthy Schools)
The Office of Child Nutrition has a contract with The Merchants Company for warehousing and distribution of chilled and frozen products to school districts under the State Purchasing Program. The current contract dates are July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2005, with an option to renew for three additional years. We are asking to modify this contract to include the warehousing and delivery of fresh and dried fruits and vegetables purchased from the Department of Defense (DOD) for our schools participating on the Fruit and Vegetable Programs. This modification would commence January 1, 2005 and coincide with the original contract dates (with accompanying option to renew).
The Merchants Company has agreed to provide this service at the same rate they currently deliver USDA products for the respective regions. It is the responsibility of the contractor to warehouse and deliver these products to local organizations that are participating in the Fruit and Vegetable Program. The Office of Child Nutrition administers the contract. Payment is made directly to the contractor by the local organizations. No MDE funds will be expended for these services. The owner and/or personnel who will be working under this contract are not former Department employees or related to any Department employees.
02. IHL. $44,649 (subject to availability of funds). 01/21/05 – 06/30/05.
State funds. Appropriated by the Mississippi Legislature, House Bill 1696 (Office of Educational Accountability)
The grantee will implement the Teach Mississippi Institute. The Institute is an intensive eight-week, nine-semester hour summer institute which includes instruction in education, effective teaching strategies, classroom management, state curriculum requirements, planning and instruction, instructional methods and pedagogy and use of test results to improve instruction.
Division of School Building (Office of Healthy Schools)
03. Approval of change orders for State Public School Building Fund
The Office of Safe and Orderly Schools requests approval of change orders for construction projects. School districts are requested to submit any modifications to an approved contract.
04. Approval of final projects for State Public School Building Fund
The Office of Safe and Orderly Schools requests approval of final projects for state public school building funds. School districts are requested to submit closing documents upon completion of construction projects.
05. Approval of school district facility site(s) for the location of the construction of capital improvements
DeSoto County School District requests approval of a site for the construction of a new elementary school (grades K through 5 with an enrollment of approximately 600 students) and a new middle school (grades 6 through 8 with an enrollment of approximately 1,200 students) located on approximately 28 acres on Star Landing Road at Highway 61 in Walls, Mississippi.
06. Approval of school district facility site(s) for the location of the construction of capital improvements
DeSoto County School District requests approval of a site for the construction of a new middle school (grades 6 through 8 with an enrollment of approximately 700 students) and a new high school (grades 9 through 12 with an enrollment of approximately 700 students) located on approximately 35 acres on Kirk Road in Olive Branch, Mississippi.
VII. Other Action Items (Office of Deputy State Superintendent
01. Approval of an articulation agreement between the Mississippi Board of Education, the Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning, and the State Board for Community and Junior Colleges relating to dual academic and vocational credit for dually enrolled secondary academic and vocational-technical education students
(Has cleared the Administrative Procedures Act process with public comments) (Office of Financial Accountability)
01. Approval of FY 2006 Mississippi Adequate Education Program Base Student Cost
02. Approval of Financial Advisor for the Amory School District Back-up material (Office of Healthy Schools)
01. Approval to contract with CCH Consulting to provide consulting services to oversee the completion of a web-based payment system (Office of Educational Accountability)
02. Approval to establish the definition and components of a behavior modification program consistent with Section 37-13-92, Mississippi Code of 1972, Annotated, as amended by House Bill 657 (Has cleared the Administrative Procedures Act process with public comments) (Office of Accreditation)
01. Approval of modification of grant with Vision Research Corporation to increase the grant by $35,000 to allow for screening of additional children (Office of Instructional Programs and Services)
01. Approval to begin the Administrative Procedures Act process: To revise the School Level Accountability Model based on Achievement and Growth included in the Mississippi Statewide Accountability System (Office of Academic Education)
01. Approval to adopt the methodology to award community service grants to local school districts
02. Approval to modify the 2003-2004 Mathematics and Science Partnerships Program Grants for Specified Services (Office of School Improvement)
01. Approval to award subgrant dollars in support of local school district improvement efforts for Title I of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (Office of State Schools and Special Projects)
01. Approval of Consolidated Application for FY 2005 State and ESEA Federal Grant Funds for the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science (Office of Student Assessment)
01. Approval of Biology I and U.S. History Student Proficiency Level (Cut) Scores (Office of Vocational and Technical Education)
01. Approval to begin the Administrative Procedures Act process: To revise State Board Policy IL-2 (Vocational Achievement/Vocational and Technical Ongoing Program Parameters) Back-up material
02. Approval to begin the Administrative Procedures Act process: To revise The Mississippi Secondary and Postsecondary Vocational Curriculum Frameworks Back-up material (Office of Quality Educators)
01. Approval of methodology for awarding federal and state funds to local school districts to provide substitute teacher pay for teachers participating in professional development and training Back-up material
02. Approval of methodology for awarding federal funds to the Institutions of Higher Learning to begin an intensive research-based process to redesign teacher preparation programs at participating universities
03. Approval of grant renewal to Institutions of Higher Learning to assist four universities with the redesign of their teacher preparation programs (Office of Educator Licensure)
01. Approval of methodology to grant discretionary funds to develop and deliver an Alternate Route Program for Administrators
02. Approval to begin the Administrative Procedures Act process: To revise Guidelines for Mississippi Educator Licensure K-12-Expansion of the Teach Mississippi Institute, as recommended by the Commission on Teacher and Administrator Education, Certification and Licensure Development
03. Approval to begin the Administrative Procedures Act process: To revise the Guidelines for Mississippi Educator Licensure K-12 – Administrator Alternate Route Program, as recommended by the Commission on Teacher and Administrator Education, Certification and Licensure Development Back-up material
04. Approval of contract with the Community College Foundation to deliver Alternate Route Teacher Certification Training
VIII. Recognition Ceremony Primrose Mangilog, student, Pecan Park Elementary School, Ocean Springs School District
Nicholas Green Distinguished Student Award Dr. Kim S. Benton, Principal, Oakland Heights Elementary School, Meridian School District
National Association of Elementary School Principals’ National Distinguished Principal for Mississippi Ronnie Shumaker, Teacher, Oakland Heights Elementary School, Meridian School District
Outstanding teaching accomplishments and 2004 State Winner Presidential Awards for Mathematics and Science Teaching
IX. State Board of Education
01. Report on meetings attended
02. Approval of attendance at meetings
X. Other Business
If you need accommodations due to a disability, contact our office at 601-359-1750.
NOTE: Cellular telephones and pagers that give an audible signal are not permitted during Board meeting.